Waingroves, Ripley, Derbyshire DE5 9TD

01773 744106

Waingroves Primary School

Think. Do. Achieve

Our Early Help Offer

We understand just how complicated family life can be and that from time to time there may be situations where families will need extra help and support (Health, Housing, Finances, and Well-being etc.).  Our "Early Help" service aims to provide the right amount of support at the earliest opportunity to secure positive outcomes for our children and their families when problems arise.  As a school, we pride ourselves in knowing our children well, are alert to pupils' welfare and are vigilant regarding any situation in which we can provide support.

Our early help offer is an approach we use in our school. Our primary aim is to identify needs early and to make sure that appropriate support is put in place. ALL staff recognise their role in always ensuring safeguarding practices to ALL children. We believe that information sharing, and timely effective support can ensure that ALL children and families get a good start in life. Families need support from a wide range of agencies. We recognise that other agencies will be able to support families based on their specialised work. 


Please click here for services available to support families and children in Derbyshire.


What is 'Early Help'?

Early help is a way of getting extra support when you or your family needs it, but getting it as soon as the difficulties start, rather than waiting until things get worse.  Help can come from all kinds of services and organisations who work together to support your family. You might be using some of these services already, but we want to make sure they are providing the right support for you and your family’s needs.

Why would I seek early help?

It could be that you’re worried about your child’s health, development or behaviour, or perhaps because you are caring for a disabled child. Maybe your child is affected by domestic abuse, drugs or alcohol. Maybe you have had a bereavement in the family or someone close to your child is ill, or there has been a disruption to your family life and you are worried about the effect on them.

It could be that you yourself are find times difficult and need advice with housing, debt, relationships or mental health issues.

Who do I ask?

Have a chat with Mrs Challand, your child’s class teacher, the staff in the office or any other member of school staff who you feel comfortable talking to. They can help you and will usually point you in the direction of our lovely Family Liaison Worker – Jayne Doherty. She has a wealth of local experience, she will support you and can also signpost you to services which will support you and your family with your specific needs. Mrs Doherty works at Waingroves on a Tuesday and Wednesday only.

What happens if I ask for an Early Help Assessment? 

You will be fully involved, and we will listen to you. If it’s a bit more complicated, we’ll need to ask you for more information which we will write down or type. This is so we can get the right information and share it (with your consent) with people who need to know, so we can better understand your circumstances and match up services that would help you the most. You’ll create a plan together, showing what you want to achieve and the support that will help you.

What sort of services or help might I get?

It will depend on what you need and might include services you already get. We will agree it with you and make sure it all joins up. Here are a few examples: 

Education and early learning: school or SENDCo support

Family and young people support: parenting groups, local support groups, domestic violence support

Advice and welfare: benefits advice, adult learning, housing advice, debt management

Health: school nurse, health visitors, support in filling out referral forms, CAMHS

Can I say 'no' to a Early Help Assessment?

Yes, you can, but we would like to stay in contact with you in case your circumstances alter, or you change your mind. We will continue to monitor your child in school and will speak to you again if we feel support is needed immediately.

Does it mean Social Care will be involved?

No. If in the future your circumstances change and it becomes a possibility, we will keep you involved and work with you so that you understand what is happening and why.


Useful links:

Action on domestic abuse

If you are experiencing domestic abuse, help is available. Derbyshire Domestic Abuse Helpline advisors can chat to you discreetly and provide you with emotional and practical support. 
The helpline is open from 8am-10pm Monday to Friday. Call 08000 198 668 or text 07534 617 252.
The freephone, 24-hour National Domestic Abuse Helpline is open 365 days a year – call 0808 2000 247.
You can also contact The Elm Foundation or Domestic Abuse Support

For those who are in immediate danger, please call 999.

Other useful links:

NSPCC - Keeping Children Safe
Alcohol / Drugs abuse

Emotional Health and Wellbeing
Mental Health support
Derbyshire Safeguarding Partnership
Derbyshire community directory for families

Derby and Derbyshire Emotional Health and Wellbeing
Living Well Derbyshire