Subject Access Requests (SARs)
Subject Access Request – Process and Protocol
As an organisation we collect and process data about individuals. We explain what information we collect, and why in our Privacy Notices.
Any individual, or person with parental responsibility, or young person with sufficient capacity to make a request is entitled to ask what information is held. Copies of the information shall also be made available on request. A form to complete is available here.
To ensure that requests are dealt with in an effective and timely manner we may seek to clarify the terms of a request.
To collate and manage requests please forward them to the main school office on Frederick Avenue. Please ensure that requests are made on the form to The Head Teacher.
Evidence of their identity, on the basis of the information set out and the signature on the identity must be cross-checked to that on the application form. Discretion about employees and persons known to the school may be applicable but if ID evidence is not required an explanation must be provided by school staff and signed and dated accordingly
Exemptions to a SAR exist and may include
• Education, Health, Social Work records
• Examination marks and scripts
• Safeguarding records
• Special educational needs
• Parental records and reports
• Legal advice and proceedings
• Adoption and Court records and/or reports
• Regulatory activity and official requests e.g. DfE statistical information
• National security, Crime and taxation
• Journalism, literature and art
• Research history, and statistics
• Confidential references
All data subjects have the right to know:-
• What information is held?
• Who holds it?
• Why is it held?
• What is the retention periods?
• That each data subject has rights. Consent can be withdrawn at any time (to some things).
• A right to request rectification, erasure or to limit or stop processing
• A right to complain
Many of these questions will be within the Privacy Notices on the website.
The information will be provided in an electronic format, usually within one calendar month of the request. However in some circumstances, for example the school is closed for holidays, this may be extended by up to another calendar month.